Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Philosopher's Notebook

A couple days ago I went to Staples to get a new notebook, and, standing there in front of all those rows and rows and rows of notebooks, it occurred to me that maybe there was a notebook that would make my writing come out better than normal. Maybe if I had a notebook with small lines I would concentrate better, or maybe if I had a notebook with fainter lines they would distract me less, or maybe if I had a notebook with a red cover the red would energize me and make me write better… For a while, I flipped through notebooks made of faux leather and notebooks with built in folders and notebooks with inspirational quotes on the binder. Then I gave up and got the kind I normally get.
Thus I learned that I am irrational and also that someone misleadingly quoted Emily Dickinson on a notebook cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment